Chatswood Transport Interchange
Chatswood Transport Interchange is a transformative mixed-use infrastructure development rejuvenating the heart of Chatswood. Implemented across a ten year period, the project includes multi-modal transport options, residential towers, parkland, retail and commercial zones. A key masterstroke is reconnecting the two previously separated halves of Chatswood with a new pedestrian link.
- 2018 Shortlisted, Urban Habitat Award, Council on Tall Buildings & Urban Habitat
- 2015 Commendation, Urban Design Award, Australian Institute of Architects (NSW)
- 2015 Winner, Great Place Award, Planning Institute of Australia (NSW)
- 2009 Winner, Engineering Excellence Award for Infrastructure, Association of Consulting Engineers Australia
- 2009 Silver Award of Highly Commended, Building Category, Association of Consulting Engineers Australia
The former station and bus interchange were replaced without disruption to services. Four train platforms are equipped with new technology, safety and way-finding making it easy to use. A focus on natural ventilation and improved visual connection between the platforms and public retail areas.
Artwork and heritage interpretation in the public domain builds local identity. Three residential towers, up to 40 storeys in height, are tapered to minimise overshadowing of nearby parkland. From a distance they also signal the transport hub, and Chatswood’s geographic heart.
The project demonstrates how transportation infrastructure project schemes can be integrated into the structure of the city to enhance the activity and quality of urban spaces.Award Citation
Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
A great place
Highly regarded by architectural and urban design institutions, the Chatswood Transport Interchange received many significant awards, including the Planning Institute of Australia’s ‘Great Place’ award.