Two of our recent projects—Ultimo Public School and Ramlegh Park Primary School—have been recognised in a range of 2022 awards, cementing DesignInc as leaders in education design.
Celebrating 21 Years Together
Our award-winning architectural and design practice is united by a vision to make a difference to the health and happiness of people’s lives through the quality of the environments they create.
DesignInc’s public work is the defining legacy of our past 21 years. Our collective talent in urban design, architecture, interiors and landscape has created engaging and artful civic spaces that bring people together from all walks of life.
When DesignInc’s journey began in 2000, our architectural heritage was already well established. Each firm had a legacy of at least 30 years’ experience. The earliest was in 1905 when Alex S. Eggleston FRAIA began an architecture practice in Melbourne. In 1954 the renowned practice Eggleston, Macdonald and Secomb was established.
For 21 years DesignInc have been leading advocates for positive cultural evolution in architectural practice. Our actions include embracing diversity and family-friendly workplaces, signing up to the Australian Architects Declare Climate and Biodiversity Emergency, adopting carbon neutral systems, mental health initiatives and acknowledging the relationship to environment and design thinking of First Nations peoples.
In 2020, Nguluway led by Wiradjuri architect, Craig Kerslake, joined with DesignInc to bring Aboriginal leadership and cultural knowledge to the architectural expertise of DesignInc by forming Nguluway DesignInc.
In this period of extreme disruption, we are honouring this milestone with a virtual retrospective and a gallery of images that celebrate 21 of our key projects. Follow #21yearsofDesignInc on Instagram as we reflect on our past and look forward into our future.
We thank our entire team of talented people, past and present, and our amazing clients. They helped DesignInc shape the fabric of Australia’s cities and regional towns, contributing to a huge output of work that has garnered global recognition.DesignInc directors, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth
We have always placed people at the heart of every project. Whether we are designing environments for learning or healing, or places of discovery and technical innovation, our first question is – how can we improve the user experience?
Project highlights since 2000 include the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC), New Royal Adelaide Hospital,New Royal Adelaide Hospital, University of Adelaide’s Ingkarni Wardli building and the Parramatta Civic Centre – all projects that incorporate ground-breaking innovations in sustainability, research, and education. Many DesignInc projects are collaborative works with Australian and international architecture practices.
21 projects in 21 years
Projects listed in chronological order, noting which studios worked or collaborated together on them.
- Council House 2 | 2006 | Melbourne
- University of Adelaide Ingkarni Wardli Building |2010 | Adelaide and Melbourne
- Ballarat Community Health Primary Care Centre | 2014 | Melbourne
- Chatswood Transport Interchange | 2014 | Sydney
- Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC) | 2016 | Melbourne and Sydney
- New Royal Adelaide Hospital | 2017 | Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney
- University of Melbourne Engineering Workshop and Old Engineering Building Refurbishment | 2017 | Melbourne
- Shellharbour Civic Centre | 2017 | Sydney
- Air 7000 | 2018 | Adelaide
- Barossa Valley Estate Cellar Door | 2018 | Adelaide
- Bio21 Institute David Penington and Nancy Millis buildings | 2004 + 2018 | Melbourne
- Adelaide Botanic High School | 2019 | Adelaide
- Mitcham Memorial Library | 2019 | Adelaide
- Lindfield Learning Village | 2019 | Sydney
- Sydney Metro North West | 2019 | Sydney
- Western Sydney Airport Landside | 2020 | Sydney
- Wulanda Recreation and Convention Centre | 2021 | Adelaide
- Ramlegh Park Primary School – Schools 2021 Program | 2021 | Melbourne
- Glenroy Community Hub | 2021 | Melbourne
- Lakelands Station | 2021 | Perth
- Parramatta Civic Centre | 2022 | Sydney
DesignInc continues to welcome working in collaboration and champions productive relationships with the architecture profession.